UNSW was established in 1949 with a unique focus on the scientific, technological and professional disciplines and its pioneering research and sustained innovation are addressing some of the most important issues of today – from climate change and renewable energies to lifesaving medical treatments and breakthrough technologies. UNSW ranks 43rd in the 2021 QS World University Rankings, 67th in the 2021 Times Higher Education World University Rankings and 65th in the 2021 Academic Ranking of World Universities. UNSW offers an extensive range of doctoral programs across the disciplines and candidates are provided with outstanding research training and mentorship, world-class supervision, and access to cutting edge infrastructure and research environments defined by excellence and collaboration.
Conditions for PhD enrolment
The minimum entry requirement for admission to a PhD includes:
• an appropriate UNSW bachelor degree with upper second-class honours; or
• a completed Masters by Research from UNSW with a substantial research component and demonstrated capacity for timely completion of a high-quality research thesis; or
• an equivalent qualification from a tertiary institution as determined by the Faculty Higher Degree Committee (HDC).
If English is not your first language, you will be required to provide evidence your English language proficiency. The following tests are accepted by UNSW:
• IELTS (International English Language Testing System) – Academic version, IELTS Indicator and IELTS UKVI only
• TOEFL iBT (Test of English as a Foreign Language – internet-based) including TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition
• TOEFL PBT (Test of English as a Foreign Language – Paper based test)
• PTE (Pearson Test of English – Academic)
• C1 Advanced Cambridge (formerly known as CAE – Cambridge Advanced English)
• C2 Proficiency Cambridge (formerly known CPE – Cambridge Proficiency English)
• ANU Access Program
Note that your English test needs to be completed no more than two years before your enrolment at UNSW. The English language test scores requirements can be found here: https://www.unsw.edu.au/study/how-to-apply/english-language-requirements
More information: Higher Degree Research Programs | UNSW Research.